Corrugated City

Thursday 14 August 2008

England: Crap Weather

So I've been back almost 2 weeks now. It's been really good, with one glaring exception...the weather. For the second year in a row, England has failed to have a summer. In 13 days, I've had one day of sunshine (made up of one half day, one quarter day and two eighths of a day). At all other times it has been raining or threatening to rain.

I'm currently back up in London at my brother's house and there's a hail, thunder and lightening storm that has left the garden underwater and the cat terrified.

Last week I went to Bathampton, just outside Bath, for lunch and on the way back there was what resembled a tropical downpour, forcing cars to drive along at about 15 miles an hour.

In short, it's completely pissed it down. Chilean winter is looking quite appealing right about now.

Sherborne (where I'm lucky enough to call home in England) just before the rain...


The stunningly beautiful Chesil Beach obscured by cloud and impending rainfall...


3pm driving home from Bathampton...

London...hail...

7 comments:

Santiago FLORES said...

Well,...if you're complaining from the weather, you haven't looked across the pond to Ireland, were we are drowning without pity!
However, if you fancy a Pint at Johnny Fox's, I'll be happy to do the honours.
Saludos,
Santiago

Allison Azersky said...

I thought that you were going to post after you did something interesting...

Matt said...

Santiago-yeah, i've heard it's been worse in Ireland. The weather's always worse in Ireland which means that right now it must be completely unbearable...at least here in London today there's some morning sunshine. Hopefully it'll last for a couple of hours...

Allie-everything i do is interesting, if you're interested.

Allison Azersky said...

Well, apparently I am :)

I'd rather be interested in you in Chile, though.

Matt said...

awww...thanks, cat-sitter :)

Emily said...

Ahh English summer. A little hard to get in the mood for Wimbledon and Pimms and all the good things about it when it looks like November outside! I remember last summer was shockingly awful, a similar 2 total non-rain days made up of dry bits spread over a few weeks that I was there, and flooding that meant people lost water all over the South! So I suppose on the bright side, at least you have drinking water this year?

Matt said...

Last summer was worse than this one...i can't even begin to imagine the horror...! I hope next year's better or i think mass emigration will occur...

The last 3 or so days have actually been ok, cool and intermittently sunny with most of the rain coming at night. It's the best one can hope for...