Corrugated City

Monday 24 March 2008

Orientation

I mentioned earlier today that Viña del Mar is East of Valparaiso. This may not make much sense to you if you look on a big map. After all, Viña is to the right of Valparaiso when looking out to sea. It used to confuse me as well (I'm assuming I'm not the only directionally challenged person out there). So here's a highly detailed map from 1925 that shows how and why Valpo is west of Viña and also why you can see Aconcagua from Valpo when you might think you were looking due north. It also shows why Valparaiso makes such a good port.

3 comments:

Lakshmi Sekar said...

Very interesting to know this...

Lara Dunston said...

I love your blog! Just discovered you. I was in Chile about 11-12 years ago, spent a few months there and a few weeks in the Valparaiso area, and stayed in a couple of those fishing villages just north of there... I can't remember the name and the Footprints handbook is packed away. I've dreamt about those places often. There was a fiesta of some kind at one village we stayed in and we ate lots of fresh seafood in a fantastic little restaurant right on the beach. It was foggy for the few days we were there but it didn't matter, it was beautiful.

I've linked to you from my blog: http://cooltravelguide.blogspot.com/ (a blog about things I find cool about travel - I'm a travel writer).

Matt said...

lara...thanks! Villages north of valpo to jog your memory:

Con-Con (not such a village these days), Horcon, Maitencillo, Cachagua, Zapallar, Papudo...

The coast with fog is almost as nice as with sunshine :)